Tuesday 11 February 2014

Pan African Union Troops

New Ground Zero Games Sculpts

By Eli 


First off, let me apologize to our readers and to Jon at GZG for the tardiness of this review. Jon was kind enough to send me a package of some of his new sculpts a bit back and I have been so tangled up with this and that preventing me from giving them a good review.

So, without further delay, let's get to it.

I received two packs of Pan African Union (PAU) troops, SG15-PA10 and SG15-PA12

PA10 is a pack of 8 (four different poses) riflemen armed with futuristic assault rifles. As with all of GZG's future fighters, these figures are tricked out in kit and sculpted in realistic combat poses with incredible detail. I am particularly fond of the helmets on these guys (PA11 is the same figures with hats) and feel they are the sort of headgear that places these figures in both realistic, near future settings as well as farther future settings like Traveller and other Space Opera types. These troopers are depicted with shirt sleeves rolled up as is fitting their tropical origins.


PA12 is a set of  light machinegunners. Eight (8) figures, again in four poses gives plenty of variety for most forces. Kneeling, advancing, and even prone gunners are all included and are depicted, again, in realistic poses without a lot of unnecessary drama. Unlike PA10, there doesn't seem to be a hats versions yet (?), but I imagine if you re packing a SAW you might feel better with a hardtop.


Personally, I plan to use these figures, combined with the Colonial Defense Force (I'll review these soon) figures as a mercenary unit. While not identical, they are close enough in tech and styling that I feel they would produce an appropriate mixed unit sort of feel that you might expect from a bunch of hired contractors. For those with a Star Wars mission in mind, these would make excellent rebel troopers.

Take care,

-Eli

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! I like the idea of using these as mercenaries. AK-47 Republic in spaaaace!

    ReplyDelete