Saturday 13 November 2010

TARGE 2010

.
Had been looking forward to attending TARGE 2010  hosted by the Kirriemuir Wargames Club for the last month and it didn't disappoint today.

There was a completely different dynamic to SKELP held last month, only a crows fart away in Forfar. Helped I think by being held in a modern bright and airy primary school. The games were better, more traders and a lively buzz about the place. The downside was that tables were close together and I felt things were claustrophobic in the main hall, which prevented me from loitering and really looking at what traders had to offer. Consequently my spending on figures for the day was £7. That's right, just £7.

Targe 2010, 6mm Modern Game

The games were of an impressive quality overall, without being over the top. Heather came with me, her first show since Triples about 15 years ago. She was impressed by the Phoenix Wargames Club's Nijmegan table (below), particularly how they brought all the separate elements together to create a very do-able "you can also do this at home" game.

Targe 2010, Phoenix Wargames Club
15mm Nijmegan

Targe 2010, Phoenix Wargames Club
Battlegroup Panzergrenadier Rules

Next table over was a beautiful 28mm ECW game on sculpted home made terrain. Couple of regiments per side - again nothing that you couldn't do at home. This was Heather's favourite of the day, as she felt this was closest to being a historical camera on the past.
Targe 2010, 28mm ECW Game

As a Romanophile, I expected Heather to show interest in Aberdeen Wargames Club's 54mm Spartacus Revolt game - but nay a flicker. Instead a Dr Who game took her attention which she thought Master Chef would love.

Targe 2010, 20mm WW2 Game

Possibly the most interesting table from a terrain perspective was a 28mm Sino-Japanese game. Unfortunately the Sino-Japanese war leaves me cold but I still appreciate the effort expended. Hats off to the guys for cramming as much eye-candy in the form of a tramp steamer, junks, armoured train, tanks and bi-plane onto the table as they could.

Targe 2010, 28mm Sino-Japanese Game

Worth mentioning, the Urban Mammoth boys had a 2 foot 'pizza base' game table on a podium at their trade stand, which was in constant use to demonstrate the mechanics of their Urban War rules. I only saw this table in passing at Forfar and was glad to get the opportunity to look at it again at TARGE - that is once I got through the throng of Urban Mammoth staff, who also blocked my path to the Xyston figures (seen in the background). I was quietly impressed by the table and I have to admit, liberated by the concept and what it offers both Master Chef and me for future games.

Targe 2010, Urban Mammoth 28mm Sci Fi

TARGE 2010 was a friendly show, but again, let down in both Heather's and my opinion by being just too cramped. It simply discouraged stopping at trade stands to browse. Heather felt herself being shoved a couple of times - without recognisance or apology, so this will most likely be her last wargames show. Am I just inured to the self-interested rudeness? Nevertheless, we both took time to demonstrate interest and talk with game organisers when approached.
.
I managed to catch up with all round good blokes, Kirriemuir club stalwart Steve Shaw (ex-Feudal castings) & Robbie from Scotia-Grendal. Spoke to Martin at Warbases.co.uk but unfortunately missed an opportunity to talk with Steve Rimmer, an old mate from Lance and Longbow days.
.
With my focus changed from purchasing miniatures to the games on display, I came away from TARGE richer for it, with plenty of ideas on the terrain front.

Cheers
Mark
.

2 comments:

  1. I was at Targe as well and really enjoyed it. It is the first show I have managed to get to for a couple of years. I had my boys with me and as they are both still young I was restricted to a flying visit.

    I only spend under £5 on some scenic materials!

    Still I enjoyed soaking up the atmosphere.

    I also had a chance to catch up with Robbie from Scotia-Grendel, a good friend who I have sculpted for on occasion. He was going to introduce you to me, but you were busy chatting with someone at the time and I had to leave fairly early.

    Anyway, I enjoy your blog, and maybe Robbie can introduce us next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave? Thank you! Robbie mentioned that he had wanted to introduce us. I work in Aberdeen, maybe catch up for a beer before next year?

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete