Saturday 31 October 2009

TopGun & GZG Armour Compatability

.
Topgun Marketing's new Grav Armor (more intel here) certainly seems to be whipping up some excitement. Opinions are polarised at each end of the spectrum. I'm very firmly in the WOW! camp. Lot's of compariosn with Traveller Imperial armor - well, I didn't want to say......

I asked Rob for some comparison photos of his new designs against GZG's High/Ultra-tech tanks so that we can get a better idea of their true size and he was happy to oblige. Rob went so far as to make sure Jon at GZG was cool with the suggestion and naturally, good bloke as ever, he was.

GZG V15-18A High Tech Grav Tank (top)
Topgun Marketing Heavy Grav Tank (bottom)



GZG V15-18A High Tech Grav Tank (top)
Topgun Marketing Medium Grav Tank (bottom)


So, what we are photos above of Topgun's Heavy and Medium Tanks alongside GZG's High-tech Tank, and a photo below of Topgun's Heavy Tank alongside the taller and thinner GZG Advanced Heavy Tank.

GZG V15-55A Advanced Heavy Grav Tank (top)
Topgun Marketing Heavy Grav Tank (bottom)


I make no bones about it, I like these Topgun tanks a lot. I can see the Heavy Grav Tank on the tabletop as a single behemoth delivering massive firepower and protected by a swarm of remote drones.

Rob is keen to include as much feedback from 15mm Sci Fi gamers as possible into his designs. I've therefore agreed to run a poll to determine what style of detailing you'd prefer to see on your Sci Fi armour models.

Cheers
Mark
.

14 comments:

  1. Note, in the top photo, the Topgun Heavy Tank looks disproportionatly large compared to the GZG tank, due to the angle it was taken from.

    Overall lengths are about the same for their hulls, not including the heavy plasma gun on the gray primed vehicle, but the Topgun tank is about 35% wider than the High-Tech GZG model.

    The bottom photo shows the relative sizes off a bit better - again, overall lengths of their hulls are about the same, give or take a few millimeters.

    I hope that helps.


    Best regards,

    Rob
    Topgun Marketing LLC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    I'm with you - these are unique and well overdue.

    Keith F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob

    Nice looking vehicles, and in terms of look and concept I get where you are coming from.

    I do have some constructive critisism however.

    1. I don't know if it just the angle of the photo, but the hatches look wayyyyy too big on the heavy grav vehicle for 15mm.

    2. The raised armour (I assume to be reactive or something like) should be over more of the vehicle, certainly in the front arc.

    3. Ditch the raised armour at the rear and have engine deck covers/fans instead.

    Cheers

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was beginning to fear nobody was going to make proxies for the best-known grav tanks in everybody's favourite SF roleplaying universe... I am no longer worried.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I actually prefer the medium grav tank to the behemoth. As was already noted, however, the hatches are far too large on these vehicles for 15mm.

    Pity about the pricing which is a bit steep IMHO, especially for those outside the US who will have shipping and possibly tax on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My take on the 'hatches' (Rob probably has different concept in mind) is, a 2 man crew in individual pods which can eject at High-G if the Grav tanks are hit or otherwise disabled.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hatches on the egg shape grav tank are actually quite narrow for most alien warrior to squeeze through, especially if for fully suited methane breathers.
    Nevertheless, I prefer the GZG design. Much more detail and it is lead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too was getting to the point where I thought we'd *never* see this design.

    I'm still glad I have a platoon of the GZG Tanks though. I use mine for the 4518th Lift Infantry who I assume are using Marine equipment. These would work fine for the Army. I hope I haven't said too much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, keep in mind the the tank from said SF Universe is *very* large.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I gotta go with the smooth hull, Finally, somebody came out with something that looks dead on for a Trepida...now if we could an Astrin? We'd be golden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have Recon-Scout vehicles, and Infantry Fighting Vehicles too.

    I'll ask Mark to post some more pics of those here as well, when he has the time.

    The IFV will have a choice of turrets, e.g. one with a long-barreled weapon, and a couple of missile launchers, and a hatch. The second one will also have a long-barreled weapon and a single missile launcher, fitted to a remotely operated turret. They are identified as IFV-1, and IFV-2, respectively.


    Best regards,

    Rob
    Topgun Marketing LLC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely-proxy Trepida. Sigh. More items for my Christmas wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to collect one grav tank or type 9, type 10, type 11, type 12 and type 13! Is there a place I can go to purchase all these types? Are there grav tanks that specialize in other functions - like radar, anti-air or ones used as troop transports?
    I do own the 100 ton scout ship pewter 6mm miniature. I just love miniatures! I have Hammer's Slammers, OGRE/GEV, Travelers starships and WW2 tanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Check out my blog on OGRE/GEV - I forgot to mention it!
    http://www.toltrin.blogspot.com/
    Thanks, dropshiphorizon!

    ReplyDelete