Saturday 18 July 2009

Games Workshop W40K Craters

.
I really enjoyed painting my 'lava' bases this week. Completing several each night. The first took around 20 minutes as I played with colours and techniques but the rest took no time at all.

I tended to wait till Heather had gone to bed. Then retired to the study to paint for 45 minutes or so, managing three bases in that time using four layers of different paints and a quick orange wash.

Thursday lunchtime I dropped into Games Workshop and picked up some Citadel W40K Craters. If you have wondered about their suitability for 15mm Sci Fi then be assured they are superb and at under a tenner for 5 substantial, well moulded craters - excellent value for money and instant terrain to boot!


I hope this photo gives you an idea of scale with 15mm figs. You can see the small GZG recon Grav APC is completely hidden within the middle crater. And there's still room for 3-4 bases of infantry!

There's been quite a bit of negative comment about the recently released Citadel 'Blastscape' on TMP and DakkaDakka forums (read here). Don't let this dissuade you from buying their Craters pack. The plastic is sturdy and the definition is excellent - click on the photo above for a larger image and see for yourself. I was certainly impressed far more than I expected to be.


If you find yourself without inspiration for Sci Fi scenery or feel you lack the talent to create your own - these Citadel Craters are perfect - whether for a moon, asteroid, savannah wastes or red planet, they will provide you with instant, quality, versatile Sci Fi or post apocalyptic terrain.

Cheers
Mark

7 comments:

  1. The Moonscape craters are as you have said Mark really good. The Blastscape craters aren't that bad (obviously not as good as the WD photos!) and probably worth picking up as well, though they are not as sharp as the Moonscape (more Amera quality). They are not scale specific (well maybe the lava trench one is), indeed I was planning using them in 6mm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, picked some of these up this AM - storming terrain - the blast stuff while usable is not 1st class

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat looking stuff. These would be great in any scale. Craters can get pretty big.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got some of these as well. I have yet to apply any paint to them. I would be interested to see what painting techniques people use on them. Any photos anyone ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to drag up an old topic, but i was looking for some advice on the moonscape scenery. I'm building a modular base using Old Crow scenery (ex Ainsty) on 18cm x 18cm squares. I'd love to use some of these craters to add outside detail but am worried they look a bit big to fit on my sqaures. Can you please tell me roughly what dimensions the carters are?

    Thanks, Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ian

    the largest is 12x10 inches.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your help Mark. A little bit big for my needs, but I'm still tempted. Maybe I could use some double size tiles.

    Great blog btw. Cheers - Ian

    ReplyDelete